Indian 'Blade Runner' set to make his mark

Hitendra singh | 7:35 PM |

      Major Devender Pal Singh most certainly has the same courage and determination reflecting in his eyes - the kind of resolve that helps you make it through the biggest problems. The amputee athlete lost his right leg to a Pakistani mortar during the Kargil War 14 years ago at the Akhnoor Sector. But this former 7 Dogra unit leader never lost his strength to fight back. He became the first blade runner in india



Singh, who had to stay in hospital for a year after the mortar injury, turns philosophical as he talks about the passion and source of strength that motivated him through the ordeal. “A person in the army is not only an army man. At an individual level he is also a civilian. The only difference the army makes is it that it grooms people to fight against all odds. That is what helped me,” says singh

It is not easy for anyone to overcome the shock and pain of losing a part of his or her body and one’s life changes forever. But Singh’s life changed for the better. “When I was a fit man, even a 14-kilometre cross-country race used to tire me. But after I lost my limb, I began running more than that. By now, I have run nine half-marathons, which are 21-kilometre races,” said Singh, who now works in a bank.
But the journey has not been easy for him. Most people did not take him seriously. “I decided to enter the Airtel half-marathon in Delhi (WHEN) to get people to stop doubting me and that is exactly what happened. It was something I did without even talking to my parents first.
They were hurt and angry. After three successful half marathons with one normal walking leg, the army found out about this and provided me with an Ireland-made prosthesis which costs about Rs 4.5 lakh,” Singh said pointing to his legs.
The biggest challenge, the soldier-turned-motivational speaker soon realised, was making a perfectly-sized prosthesis. “The socket, which connects my body with the prosthesis, hurt the most. After every race, my skin used to peel and it would bleed and swell. I had to bandage it for 15 days.
They were hurt and angry. After three successful half marathons with one normal walking leg, the army found out about this and provided me with an Ireland-made prosthesis which costs about Rs 4.5 lakh,” Singh said pointing to his legs.
The biggest challenge, the soldier-turned-motivational speaker soon realised, was making a perfectly-sized prosthesis. “The socket, which connects my body with the prosthesis, hurt the most. After every race, my skin used to peel and it would bleed and swell. I had to bandage it for 15 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback

Blog Stats